Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Review - Predators of Darkness: Aftermath

by: Leonard D. Hilley II

Available at Amazon, Barnes & Nobles and Smashwords

The desolate streets of downtown Pittsburgh in 2073 are a reminder of the missile attack that forever changed the lives of the surviving scientists and students hidden in the fallout shelter of Helmsby's Genetic Research Center. Believing themselves to be the only survivors, they station themselves inside the center until food supplies near depletion. Thinking the fallout has lessened, they emerge three years later to discover strange creatures patrolling the streets in search of human flesh and blood. The creatures possess the ability to shift their genomes and alter their appearances by realigning their genetic sequences. Daniel Hutchinson soon discovers mysteries more frightening than the shifters. The tip of Pittsburgh has been fenced off. Low-flying helicopters observe the streets. He ponders the question: Were the shifters released as simply part of a military experiment with humans being their prey?

There is so much I want to tell you all, I want to talk about the amazing ride that this book was. So much excitement, sadness, fear, happiness...a real roller coaster!

Honestly I have to bite my tongue, I don't want to give anything away. As you read, the survivors are locked in a research center, and have been for 3 years. 2 men, considered the leaders are the only 2 to leave now because of the very real danger of the "shifters." These creations are so very hard to kill, they heal so fast that the only way to kill them to slice them fully in half.

Oh my stars, I want to go on but I can't. The characters are so realistic, the plot is heavy - but in a good way. The pacing is amazing. It's 233 pages long and I don't think it ever slowed down. Even the sexy scenes were intense!

The cover is spooky - I'm not sure about the spider web unless it's meant to signify the abandoned city of Pittsburgh. The red cats eyes...well you'll read about him in the book. This would make a kick-ass movie!

The e-book is only $2.99 - and right now Mr. Hilley is sending all proceeds to help restore his old his school's library that was damaged by a tornado. As a reader and library patron I think this is about the nicest thing an author can do.

2 comments:

  1. Angie, I am so sorry I have been away the past week and just got back to blogging so I am trying to catch up with everyone.

    Yes! I read this book and LOVED it. I am now on the 2nd one in the series and it is great too.

    Yesterday I received "Smokin' Seventeen" in the mail and must thank you so very much once again. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :0)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected