1. Salads for Every Season: 25 Salads from Earthbound Farm: A Workman Short by Myra Goodman - B&N, Amazon
Myra Goodman knows salad. Founder with her husband, Drew, of Earthbound Farm—the largest grower of organic produce in North America—she is the author FOOD TO LIVE BY and THE EARTHBOUND COOK, sumptuous cookbooks built on the idea of fresh, seasonal cooking. From those books, she has culled a useful and inspiring ebook short filled with 25 recipes for salads that showcase the best produce of spring, summer, fall and winter.
Colorful, healthy, and packed with delightful textures and flavors, these are what salads should be. For Spring and Summer: Strawberry-Tarragon Salad with Aged Balsamic Vinegar; Chopped Summer Vegetable Salad; Farro Salad with Edamame and Arugula; Summer Salad with Butter Lettuce, Raspberries, and Hazelnuts. Fall and Winter: Jicama and Orange Salad with Orange-Sesame Vinaigrette; Escarole with Walnuts, Dates, and Bacon; Roasted Beet Salad alla Caprese; Autumn Salad with Persimmons and Pomegranate Seeds. Plus a Field Guide to Salad Greens, sidebars exploring ingredients and salad basics, how to grow your own sprouts and infuse your own oils, and a chapter dedicated to versatile dressings and dips.
2. The Glass Case: A Short Story by Kristin Hannah - B&N, Amazon
In her classic short story THE GLASS CASE, Kristin Hannah explores the heart and mind of a young mother. April Bannerman is a young mother of three, married to her high school sweetheart & living in the same small town in which she grew up. Although she loves her children and husband, April is plagued by the growing doubt that she has not lived up to her mother's expectations for her---until one day when something terrible and unexpected happens, and April must face the truth about her own life and discover what really matters.
BONUS MATERIAL INCLUDED: 1st chapter of Kristin Hannah’s newest novel HOME FRONT, coming January 2012.
3. The Myth of the Garage And Other Minor Surprises by Dan Heath , Chip Heath - B&N, Amazon
From Chip and Dan Heath, the bestselling authors of Switch and Made to Stick, comes The Myth of the Garage: And Other Minor Surprises, a collection of the authors’ best columns for Fast Company magazine—16 pieces in all, plus a previously unpublished piece entitled “The Future Fails Again.”In Myth, the Heath brothers tackle some of the most (and least) important issues in the modern business world:4. Snow for Xmas by Oksana Vasilenko - Smashwords
- Why you should never buy another mutual fund (“The Horror of Mutual Funds”)
- Why your gut may be more ethical than your brain (“In Defense of Feelings”)
- How to communicate with numbers in a way that changes decisions (“The Gripping Statistic”)
- Why the “Next Big Thing” often isn’t (“The Future Fails Again”)
- Why you may someday pay $300 for a pair of socks (“The Inevitability of $300 Socks”)
- And 12 others . . . Punchy, entertaining, and full of unexpected insights, the collection is the perfect companion for a short flight (or a long meeting).
Christmas is a magic time when dreams come true. But are some dreams too crazy to come true? Can one wish for snow as a Xmas present? This is one story from my book 'Star Children' which contains two other short stories for children: 'Star Children' and 'The Lost Marble'.5. The 99% by Hope Sullivan McMickle - Smashwords
Owen Stephens is a man with nothing left to lose. Since the Great Collapse, inflation has spiraled out of control, unemployment has skyrocketed, and hunger, homelessness, and despair is the norm for 99% of Americans. Desperate to protect and provide for his family, Owen is out of options and almost out of time. Until he discovers that he's worth more undead than he is alive.
Next week I'm just going to Smashwords. Much easier to find a freebie. Don't forget to go to yesterday's blog and enter the giveaway for the Christmas necklace.