Monday, May 7, 2012

Dark Earth

by: Jason Halstead

Available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble

Synopsis:
Hunted since before her birth, Jessica Baxter relies upon the protection of her father to keep her safe from harm. What neither of them knows is that her father has his own dark legacy bequeathed by a father he never knew. The bonds of family are tested as the fate of two Earths, each a shadow of the other, rests upon the hunted becoming the hunter.

I found this ebook free on Amazon and I thought it looked like something I would read should I ever have the time. Well this weekend I found myself stuck in a kindergarten class with nothing but my blackberry...which thankfully had this loaded in the kindle reader on it. I thought it looked very dark and exciting, but it starts out like a chick lit kind of story. Eric loses his wife in a car accident but his unborn baby girl is saved. They move back to Norther Michigan (my backyard) and set up home there for the past 11 years.

Then the man who killed his wife shows up and tries to murder his daughter. Now that's the only thing that bugged me because the detective said the crash was ruled an accident. But then the detective says: "he was out in seven years for good behavior." Now why would the guy get jail time for something ruled an accident? I'm not a lawyer though, but it seemed odd to get that much time when the guy was clean.

So I'm seriously wondering if I am reading the wrong story here, where are the werewolves and witches and stuff...oh yeah...right about here he smacks you with it. And don't get me wrong here, it's not boring at ANY point in this book. But right about this point it gets insane...

I want to go on and on, but I can't. The girl is 13 and very bright but still very much a kid. I love how he wrote her character because you can't help but adore her, but as very bright she is he doesn't (as so many authors have) forget she is still a kid. Even Harry Potter wasn't very childlike. And Eric, Jess's father, he's such a manly man...I think I have a crush on him. lol Living about as far north in Michigan as you can, to where the power company hasn't even gotten out there yet...fishing for his income...and then kicking ass for his little girl. Eric rules!

*squeal* just saw this is book 1. I wonder if there's a book 2 out yet...

Yes you should get this book. It's one of those where you get to the end and have to stop and breath for a little bit. And it has it's moments of violence but I think it could easily be appropriate for young adults.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This book sounds like a bit of a roller coaster ride. I'm with you as I thought it would be darker and creepy throughout.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :0)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected