Friday, July 3, 2015

Book Review: If You're not the One

by: Jemma Forte

I've had this one on my TBR list for awhile. Amazon and my library keep placing it in front of me by way of recommendation. Booksparks obliged by asking me to review it this summer.

My last book dealt with the outcomes of one choice. First one way and then the other. I was pleasantly surprised to see this one had a similar idea. The main character, Jennifer is looking over where she is in her life. Her husband is pulling away and lord knows her reaction isn't helping. She feels trapped and that induces a certain amount of panic. I can understand that. It is scary to attach yourself to someone and trust that they will keep your best interests at heart. Instead he slowly loses respect for her. Jennifer is mostly a stay at home mom, recently working part time while the girls are in school. She finally has a little time to breath and look over her marriage. She really doesn't like what she sees, but is it too late to turn things around?

For some reason, not made clear until much later, she runs out of her house and is hit by a car. While in a coma, her brain takes her to her 3 most important relationships that could easily have ended in marriage. What would have happened? She goes through door #1, #2 and #3. While jumping around those possibilities, we are caught up on what has been going on between her and Max. She had a hot Australian, Aiden. In college she was with a wicked smart but not very demonstrative man named Tim. And immediately before Max, she was seeing Steve.

I expected a lighter story, but this deals with real mistakes and consequences in this woman's life. And we get a clue that Jennifer is truly battling depression. It never comes out with that, but the always present line of dissatisfaction that Jennifer feels is a not-so-subtle hint.

While it does jump around in time and stories, I felt it was pretty easy to follow. No harder than The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Yes it goes forward and backward, changing complete storylines. But the story also has an easy flow, it really isn't hard to follow. It is unique and quite exciting to read. I really enjoyed my time with this book and recommend to anyone who enjoys women's fiction.

I am adding Jemma Forte to my favorite author list to see what she comes out with next. Oh happy day! She has other books out already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :0)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected