Saturday, August 19, 2017

This week in graphic novels #3

**I received digital copies from NetGalley in exchange for honest reviews.**

Andrew Matthews & Tony Ross
4 tales from Shakespeare written out for kids. I like how it has pictures, gives the cast and a quote from the original play. Then it tells the story and finishes up with an explanation of what just happened and some history of Shakespeare and the play.

I liked it. Henry V, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Merchant of Venice and Hamlet. I have only read Hamlet before this. I enjoyed the little snippets and kind of wish they'd do this for adults and have the whole play there.

That being said, I think it falls short with the intended audience. It's supposed to be for kids, but my 11 year old didn't like it. He sat through Henry V, I think only because there was a battle going on. But he completely zoned out during A Midsummer Night's Dream and didn't want anything more to do with the book.

I finished it pretty fast. It might be OK for some kids, but the rough and rowdy boys, nope. I really thought he'd like it, he loves fantasy and some classics. 

Imagine my delight! Not only was this a parody of the If you Give a Mouse a Cookie books, but it's by that same author!!! To be fair, I wasn't looking that closely and I'm not great with remembering names.

It goes along the same line, but it's totally written for wives. "If you give a man a cookies, he'll ask for a glass of milk to go with it...God forbid he should get it himself!" 

As a mom who has read all of her books a million times each, and a wife...I just about died laughing. My husband chuckled and my kids didn't think it was funny at all. But me, Mom, I laughed and laughed and then read it a few more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :0)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected