Friday, June 10, 2011

Review - The Bedtime Book for Dogs

By: Bruce Littlefield
Amazon.com - $9.18
Barnes & Noble - $14.46

Synopsis:
Come. Sit. Stay. I want to tell you a story. I think you'll like it. It's about a TREAT and a good dog, a very good dog who wanted to go play. But his friend was busy....

THE BEDTIME BOOK FOR DOGS is a charming story about a dog who decides that he'd rather walk to the park by himself than wait for his human companion-and discovers that all of his usual activities aren't as much fun without a good friend to share them with. This is an adorably packaged book with illustrations by Paul Heath that makes a perfect gift for dog lovers of all ages, with words dogs will understand and kids will want to read again and again.


My first children's book to review! And it's a new family favorite. I didn't read it myself, I took it with us for our first summer story time before bed. The boys LOVED it. In fact Ivan (2 1/2 yrs old) has insisted I read it about a dozen times in the first 3 days we have had it. I'd say that makes it a hit. My 5 yr old gets mad if he misses a reading of it.

The pictures are simply drawn and colored and this gives me a sense of simplicity and safety...comforting. I could look at them for ages. The story is also quite simply written, making it a great book to start reading with as well as being great for the little ones who won't sit for long.

And finally it has a touch of humor. There's a scene at the park when the dog is doing "his business" behind a bush, the boys recognize that position because we have a dog, and the squirrel in the tree is covering his eyes...the boys are rolling on the floor...honestly we all found that page gigglicious.

So yes - go buy this book for the child in your life. And if I can have a bit of a soapbox time here, instead of buying a $3 card the child can't read and honestly won't get the sentiment, buy them a book and sign the cover for them. It will follow them much longer and serve a better purpose. Hint, hint, this book would be a great birthday card!

3 comments:

  1. Mm, this sounds like something the Princess will love. She is addicted to reading and of course I couldn't be happier. She is losing her teeth and all she asks the Toothfairy for is BOOKS! This sounds like a good one. The thought about the ashamed squirrel makes me giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, this sounds adorable! I like your idea, of signing the cover, instead of buying a card! I'm with Magaly, the squirrel made me laugh! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize for taking so long to thank you for visiting my blog and tell you what a pleasure it is to meet you. -Mina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :0)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected