Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Book Reviews:

I haven't written in awhile, and I have a few books I need to talk about. Let's start with my new favorite:

How to Walk Away by Katherine Center
**Thanks to NetGalley for the digital copy!**

When I first started this book, it was really hard to read. It triggered some of my abandonment and accident fears. But it was so flawlessly written, engaging, and all that. I just had to see what happened with Margaret.

And she hasn't seen or talked to her sister in over 3 years, what on earth is up with that? Will Margaret walk again, how will she heal? What will happen then? And that title...who is walking away???

Loved it. It made me laugh and cry, and made the security guard at work think I'd lost it because I had a huge grin on my face as I finished this one. Book hangover for sure!

Sheets by Brenna Thummler
**Thanks again to NetGalley for this digital edition lent to my tablet**

I try to pick up graphic novels I think my 9 yr old will enjoy. He's all about the Smile books, doesn't even phase him that the main characters are all girls. He just loves those heartfelt stories. Yeah, Ivan! He likes that we can share a book. And we both loved this one!

The main character is reeling from the loss of her mother. She is trying to keep the family business going, and keep her family together all while being a middle school student. She is running a laundry. And then guess what?

Yeah, ghosts...seriously great story about loss and adversity. You just have to read this one! Plus the graphics were amazing, the colors are few but they just pop!

The Big Empty Life of Alphonse Tabouret by Sibylline Desmazières,  Jérôme d'Aviau
**And again, thanks Netgalley!**

This one fell kind of flat. I enjoyed it well enough. But I didn't love it. I don't care to ever read it again.

But it was cute, and sometimes silly. My son had me read it to him, but he never picked it up. It just didn't move fast enough, and it really didn't make enough sense.

Knowing this was a translation, I wonder if it's a bad story or a bad translation.

Fruit Ninja & Jetpack Joyride Hc by Nate Cosby
**Thanks NetGalley for keeping my son in books!**

I didn't read this one. And I'm not going to either. Let me tell you about this. I didn't download it, I showed it to Ivan and he insisted. Apparently there's a game or two involved her.

What I do know is that Ivan sat down and read this in one evening. Now, he's a fast reader, I just tell you it grabbed his attention. My 9 year old reader, wouldn't put it down. Not even when it was time for me to read to him. Nope, we skipped reading that night. So, that should tell you enough about this one.

The Creature Garden by Harry and Zanna Goldhawk
**Thanks NetGalley!**

I almost forgot about this one! Oh my gosh, it's a fantastic drawing book!

All sorts of animals, all sorts of cute tidbits and great instructions. If you or someone you know wants to play around with drawing animals - grab this book!

If someone you know doesn't like to draw, but likes art and animals, likewise grab this book.



Fire Making: The Forgotten Art of Conjuring Flame with Spark, Tinder, and Skill by Daniel Hume
**Thank you NetGalley, you made my eldest son happy!**

I grabbed this one to read to my oldest. He's into survival skills. And this guy was all about how he figured out fire making on his own. Where he had help. And how he struggled and triumphed.

It was all pretty amazing. And the places he visited, all the different kinds of fire making in human history. He really tries to go old school in different areas of the world. It's all different, depending on where you are, the moisture, the fuel, the starters.

Best of all, his stories. This author is a great story teller. My son and I enjoyed this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :0)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected