Friday, August 26, 2011

Guest Post by Carol Cassada

If someone had told me years ago that I’d eventually be writing romance novels, I would’ve told them they were crazy. Yet here I am, writing for the genre I once loathed.

I admit I’ve never liked romance novels, in fact the only way I got my feel of romance and drama was from soap operas, which inspired my second book Westmore, we’ll get to that in a minute. But when I decided to go into writing, romance is one of the genres I considered as a option. I even got a few Harlequin novels to help me get a sense of the genre. I must admit I became hooked on them, I’d read a couple of chapters, then take a break, a few minutes later my hand was reaching for the book, I had to read more. I’d tear through them in three days, while it usually takes me weeks to read a book, depending on the length and the style. After getting inspiration I began writing my first book Going Home Again.

Going Home Again revolves around New York fashion photographer Rachel Mitchell, whose living the good life with a great job, and handsome boyfriend Jeremy David. But her perfect life is shattered upon the death of her mother Nancy. Rachel returns home to Virginia to comfort her three younger sisters and her grandma Edie, who throughout the book instills in Rachel the importance of family, a value which will eventually change her for the better. While in Virginia Rachel runs into ex-flame Cole Ashton, whose heart she broke years ago, yet they remain friends. Upon her return to New York, Rachel feels something’s missing and before long her life is in shambles, her job is in jeopardy and there’s trouble in paradise for her and Jeremy. Suddenly Rachel begins contemplating changes she wants in her life.

Shortly after Going Home Again was released I was finishing my second book Westmore. As a teen I explored the world of screenwriting and at one time I wanted to be a writer for the daytime serials, I had a notebook where I wrote characters and plots. Then I was looking for inspiration for my second book and I thought of taking my soap opera ideas and turning them into a book series and that’s where Westmore came from.

Westmore is set in a fictional town and the story focuses on three families; The Greens, The Braxtons, and The Reynolds.

The Greens consist of widowed matriarch Charlotte who has given up on love following the death of her husband Michael; however she changes her mind when handsome detective Jim Bryant comes to her rescue. Meanwhile her oldest son Jack, loves his job as a bartender, but longs to do more with his life. Scott and his sister Alicia are singers in a rock band, hoping to take their band to the next level, yet fate has other plans. Youngest son Peter returns home from college with girlfriend Zoey whose ten years older than him and causes trouble for Mama Charlotte.

The Braxtons are a rich, publishing family, Andrew is the oldest brother and took over the reigns of the company after his father’s death. Andrew’s a very controlling man, and his wife Elizabeth is fed up with his behavior and plans to leave. If that wasn’t enough Andrew learns his son Wayne who he’s groomed to take over the company, plans to jump ship, however Andrew isn’t letting go without a fight and will do anything to keep his son, even if it means his actions could hurt others.

The Reynolds consist of real estate tycoon Stan, whose life is turned upside down when his son Jacob begins dating rocker Alicia Green, and soon father and son are butting heads. Then his divorced daughter Laura and granddaughter Megan move back home. Once Laura’s settled into her new life, her ex shows up unexpectedly threatening to reveal her secret.

Towards the end of the book an accident occurs which will affect all three families, and the sequel due out September 2011 deals with the aftermath.

It’s hard to believe I’m writing for a genre I once detested, yet the old adage is true “don’t knock it until you try it.” Now how long I plan to write for the genre remains to be seen. Eventually I’d like to branch out into other fields, but for the time being I’m having fun writing romance and I hope readers enjoy the books as much as I do.

To learn more about my books visit http://www.carolcassada.net/

Thank you so much Carol for sharing your story, giving us an interview AND a guest post. And mostly for hosing a giveaway. And the winner is...Mina from Green Witch with Sprinkles.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Thanks for posting ... congrats to GreenWich!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :0)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected